Saturday, October 5, 2013

The French Word-of-the-day is:
tenir la route (teuh-neer-lah-root)
It means: to stay the course

Honestly I don't get to pick the French word-of-the-day. But it just happens that when I finally sit down to write about something, the word that's up that day just seems to... fit. 
 
Over the past couple of months, as I have been getting organized and down to business, I have also been listening to advice about my business and evaluating where and how it will proceed, and what I want to do with it. 
 
I was asked "Am I an artist or a maker"? The difference between them that was given to me went something like this: An "Artist" doesn't care what anyone else thinks, they just create the art that is in them to create. Just what they want no matter what. A "Maker" is a person that makes whatever. Whatever will sell, whatever the latest trend is, just to make something. After a lot of thought about that question I can finally answer it, I am not just both... but BOTH!!! I struggled trying to fit myself into one or the other of the two categories, but I think of myself as an eclectic creative person, I like to do everything! Not just sewing, wood working, refinishing furniture, painting (not just furniture), making jewelry, decorating or repurposing stuff... but everything, ALL of it! I get excited when I see something, and think of turning it into something else or just adding something to it, or seeing that everyone really loves some little thing, and know that I can make it for them. I like to help people with their projects, and give them not just advice but ideas on what else they could do with something. I love making things that I've never made before, but I also really care about what people think and want. I like feedback, it helps guide where you will or won't go next. So with all of that in mind....
 
Other than a few MAJOR tweaks, I've decided to "tenir la route" or stay the course. I am an artistic/maker that just wants to make whatever for who ever and be happy.
 
During my evaluation process, I made a list of what I love and let me just say that there was a definite theme. My favorite season is fall, my favorite colors are fall colors, etc. So... I have changed the name of my business to "Autumn Aire" (that is how it's spelled, I liked the extra "e"), and right now my plan is to get ready for the holiday season, and hopefully in January launch AutumnAire.com, an E-commerce website that hopefully you will all visit and help me promote.  I am nervous and excited, but I love this work and want to help inspire others to create, or be imaginative.  
 
So, please join and follow me at my new blog, AutumnAire.blogspot.com . This is going to be fun! 
 
Thanks for all of your support!
Debbie 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment